Filter by categories
Explore

St Audries

  • BD0001

    St. Audries House.

  • BD0003

    St. Audries House at West Quantoxhead (St. Audries)

  • BD0004

    St. Audries House and Church with Stowborrow Hill (with the group of trees) behind and Beacon Hill behind that, on the horizon.

  • BD0005

    St Audries House and deer park.

  • BD0006

    The Home Farm at St Audries

  • BD0007

    St Audries House, before the creation of the plantation on Stowborrow Hill behind.

  • BD0008

    St Audries House.

  • BD0009

    A view of the rear of St Audries House

  • BD0010

    A view of St Audries School (House). The car is believed to belong to the headmistress, Miss Laura Townshend

  • BD0011

    A view of St Audries Hpouse and Church with a treeless Stowborrow Hill behind and Beacon Hill beyond that towards the right

  • BD0012

    A view of St Audries House, when it was the Church of England Public School for Girls. The picture was taken from the school brochure.

  • BD0013

    A photograph of an engraving, believed to be the earliest known image of St Audries House.

  • BD0014

    A photograph of an engraving of St Audries House, described as “the seat of R. Everard Batch Esq.”

  • BD0015

    St Audries House when it was a girls school.

  • BD0016

    The Orangery at St Audries House when the house was a girls school. At that time it was a chapel and it is now (2018) used for weddings.

  • BD0017

    The farmhouse at Home Farm, St Audries

  • BD0018

    St Audries Home Farm

  • BD0019

    St Audries Home Farm Holiday Centre

  • BD0020

    The early beginnings of the Home Farm Holiday Centre

  • BD0021

    The pigeon loft at St Audries Home Farm. The farm was created, by the Acland Hood family, in1855 as a model farm.

  • BD0022

    The sheep wash at Home Farm. The sheep dip was near the large tree beyond the scrub vegetation.

  • BD0023

    The old gas works which, although on the Home Farm land, provided gas to the manor house alone.

  • BD0024

    Remains of the old gas works which supplied gas to the manor house using waste (anthracite) material from the South Wales coal mines.

  • BD0025

    St Audries Home Farm as it was when the estate sold it. It was bought by Cecil Stafford.

  • BD0026

    The Home Farm pigeon loft as it was at the time of the farm sale.

  • BD0027

    Home Farm at St Audries

  • BD0028

    The inside of the pigeon loft at Home Farm, showing the rear of the nest boxes and the ladder (called a potence) which swivelled around to allow access to all the boxes.

  • BD0029

    The old gas works at Home Farm, with an old farm elevator (for raising sheaves onto a rick) alongside.

  • BD0030

    Home Farm house at St Audries

  • BD0031

    A view of Home Farm over the old mill pond

  • BD0032

    An early photograph of the start of the Home Farm Holiday Centre

  • BD0033

    “Westwood”, just off the Doniford Road near the entrance to the Home Farm Holiday Centre and replaced by “Sea Furlong” in 1990

  • BD0034

    The pigeon loft at Home Farm. Built in 1855, this was the last purpose built loft in the country.

  • BD0035

    “Rydons Lodge”, just off the Dobiford Road. It was built in 1871 in memory of Prince Albert, possibly using material from the old St Audries church. It was one of four estate lodges.

  • BD0036

    “Rydon Lodge”. The Doniford Road is to the right and the entrance to Home Farm Holiday Centre is now to the left of the gate.

  • BD0037

    “Williton Lodge” near the junction of Doniford Road and the A39. One of four estate lodges.

  • BD0038

    A steam roller at Home Farm which came from the Vinny Combe quarry when it closed.

  • BD0039

    Brimmetts Lodge, one of the four lodges around St Audries House. The name is believed to have been taken from the nearby wood. Where the wood got its name from is not known.

  • BD0041

    The Orangery at St Audries House which is now (2018) used for weddings.

  • BD0042

    St. Audries House is just left of the centre of the picture with the church tower showing above the trees to the right. Note the almost complete absence of trees on the hills, particularly on Stowborrow…

  • CD0001

    The church at St. Audries (West Quantoxhead)

  • CD0002

    The Great Hall at St. Audries School (House)

  • CD0003

    The St. Audries School Cadets

  • CD0004

    The chapel in “St. Audries House”. This room is now (2016) called the Orangery and is used for weddings.

  • CD0005

    St. Audries Church and park.

  • CD0006

    A meeting of the West Somerset Foxhounds at St Audries House.

  • CD0007

    The church at St. Audries

  • CD0008

    An unusual view of the side of St. Audries Church and the deer park.

  • CD0009

    The funeral of Lord St Audries at St Audries Church.

  • CD0010

    St Audries Church

  • CD0011

    The interior of St Etheldreda’s Church at St Audries showing the new altar table.

  • CD0012

    St Audries church behind a gatehouse controlling access to the manor house.

  • CD0013

    St Etheldreda’s Church at St Audries, looking north.

  • CD0014

    A view of the church and house at St Audries. This victorian church built in 13th century style (and at least the third on the same site) was finished in 1856.

  • CD0015

    A very early photograph taken soon after this victorian church, at St Audries, was finished.

  • CD0016

    View of St Audries church with the almost bare Stoborrow Hill in the background and a row of deciduous trees (probably beech) on the horizon.

  • CD0017

    The church of St Etheldreda at St Audries.

  • CD0018

    St Audries Church.

  • CD0019

    ‘St Audries Avenue’ which led from St Audries House up to the main road (A39). The trees were felled in 1925. The wall along the north side of the A39 can be seen on the right…

  • CD0020

    St Audries House when it was a Church of England Public School for Girls. The small stone wall visible in the bottom right corner was the swimming pool.

  • CD0021

    A photograph of an original engraving of St Audries House

  • CD0022

    St Audries Church of St Etheldreda.

  • CD0023

    The much feared St Audries walls each side of the A39. Looking west towards the bend just before the entrance to the church and deer park on the right.

  • CD0024

    The A39 looking east towards the entrance to the Forestry Commission Deer Park plantation on the right by the road sign. The route of the A39 was decided by Act of Parliament in 1828 after a…

  • CD0025

    The Deer Park Bridge was constructed in 1845; fifteen years after the walls along the A39 were constructed in order to hide the road. It provided easy access from the St Audries Deer Park to the…

  • CD0026

    Demolition of the Deer Park Bridge over the (now) A39 at St Audries. The flat roadway over the bridge has already been removed. The remaining structure was was drilled for high explosives. The first attempt was…

  • CD0027

    A view of the arch of the Deer Park Bridge which shows how high the crossing roadway had to be built. The primary reason for its destruction was to allow double decker buses to travel between…

  • CD0028

    Two attempts with explosives finally succeeded in demolishing the Deer Park Bridge over the A39.

  • CD0029

    Removal of the considerable amount of rubble after the Deer Park Bridge over the A39 was demolished with explosives.

  • CD0030

    An early view, looking east, of what is now (2018) called the St Audries Holiday CLub, with the path down to the bay.

  • CD0031

    A post WWII view of what is now the St Audries Holiday Club, looking west. The site was occupied by the army during the war years.

  • CD0032

    An aerial view of the St Audries Holiday Club.

  • CD0033

    An aerial view of St Audries Holiday Club which had also been known as the St Audries Holiday Hamlet.

  • CD0034

    “Stowey Lodge”, one of four estate lodges, now (2018) beside the entrance to the St Audries Holiday Club.

  • CD0035

    “Church Lodge” was one of four estate lodges. The church is to the right.

  • CD0036

    An inside view of St Audries church (St Ethelreda).

  • CD0037

    A view of Church Lodge, taken before the Stowborrow Hill plantation was planted in 1930.

  • CD0038

    View of St Ethelreda’s Church from the A39

  • CD0039

    This painting shows the previous church at St Audries which was established in the twelfth century and demolished in 1853/54. It was replaced by a temporary wooden church whilst the current (2018) church was built in…

  • CD0040

    This very early photograph shows St Ethelredas Church, at St Audries, soon after it was built, with the ‘famous’ est Quantoxhead Scots Pines on the hillside behind.

  • CD0041

    An early photograph showing The Street, which ran from the Rectory stables and coach house past the church. It no longer exists.

  • CD0042

    St Ethelredas Church, much as it is today (2018).

  • CD0043

    St Audries church. The small structure beyond the hedge is a water fountain on the other side of the A39.

  • CD0044

    St Audries church and house from the other side of the A39. The track on the left is the entrance to the Windmill Inn and the shrubs on the right are in the Rectory garden.

  • CD0045

    A view towards Perry Farm and the sea, probably taken from the A39. The hedges of the farm lane can be seen low to the right.

  • CD0046

    St. Audries Church in February.

  • CE0025

    A painting by Rev. Harold Stannard ( the incumbent from 1948 to 1977) showing St Audries rectory (sold in 1977), church and house.

  • CE0039

    A view of St. Audries church and house taken from above the A39, with the channel in the background. Note the forestry plantation, above the A39, on the right (Stowborrow Hill).