Filter by categories
Explore

Crowcombe

  • DJ0001

    Hurley Beacon from Long Cross with Hurley Farm to the right.

  • EJ0001

    Looking north over Hurley Farm from the hall in Crowcombe.

  • EK0001

    A painting of “Crowcombe Court” by John Buckler (1770-1851). Built in 1725 for Thomas Carew. From the Friends of Quantock picture collection.

  • EK0002

    The house is “Tythe Barn” at northern end of Crowcombe Road where it meets the A358. The signpost points right to Stogumber.

  • EK0003

    Today know as “Hooks” just to the north of the present day post office. In the mid 1980s the name was changed from “The Cottage”.

  • EK0004

    Crowcombe Road looking north west. On the left is “Newton Cottage”, on the right “Sadlers Cottage” and stone building behind is the “Mission Room 1889”.

  • EK0005

    Looking north east towards Crowcombe Park in the distance on the right. Crowcombe village is seen as a line of buildings before the Quantocks rise.

  • EK0006

    “The Carew Arms” looking north west down Crowcombe Road.

  • EK0007

    Crowcombe Village Cross looking north west to Crowcombe Road and the Carew Arms.

  • EK0008

    Looking north across Crowcombe Village which is seen as a line of buildings before The Quantocks rise. Crowcombe Park Gate is on the right and the road over the bridge on the left is the A358.

  • EK0009

    The north end of Crowcombe Village looking south east. Crowcombe Road runs behind the fence on the left and “Forge Cottage” is ahead.

  • EK0010

    Crowcombe Village Cross looking north west . Theses cottages were demolished and replace by four new homes, Ajana, Buttercross, Delmore and Hollywell . Only the cottage partially seen on the far left still remains.

  • EK0012

    Looking west along Crowcombe Road. On the far left is Dairy Cottage then Lower Carow Cottage

  • EK0013

    Looking east down Crowcombe Road in the direction of The Carew Arms. The dwellings on the left form “Brendon View” and in the distance is Triscombe Quarry and Wills Neck.

  • EK0014

    Looking west along Crowcombe Road towards present day village hall.

  • EK0015

    “Crowcombe Court” built for Thomas Carew in 1725. In the centre is the main entrance which is south facing and to the right the east facade. On the left long building forms the “South Wing”

  • EK0016

    “Crowcombe Court” built in 1725 for Thomas Carew. The main entrance seen looking south east.

  • EK0017

    “Crowcombe Court” built in 1725 for Thomas Carew. The west side of the building flanked by the “North” and “South Wings”.

  • EK0018

    Crowcombe Road looking north west. On the left is “Newton Cottage”, on the right “Sadlers Cottage” and stone building behind is the “Mission Room 1889”.

  • FK0001

    Crowcombe Church of the Holy Ghost. From the Friends of Quantock picture collection.

  • FK0002

    A photograph of a painting of “Church House” by John Buckler (1770-1851). From the Friends of Quantock picture collection.

  • FK0003

    “Church House” in very poor condition. A public subscription raised the money to restore it in 1905-08. Also see FK004 From the Friends of Quantock picture collection.

  • FK0004

    “Church House” in very poor condition. A public subscription raised the money to restore it in 1905-08. The attached cottages at the left end were demolished in 1960 for road widening. Also see FK003. From the…

  • FK0005

    Crowcombe Church

  • FK0006

    The stone cross near the church in Crowcombe. The Carew Arms is in the background.

  • FK0007

    Crowcombe village looking west towards the school which isnow just around the bend, on the left.

  • FK0008

    Crowcombe Church

  • FK0009

    A print taken directly from the original quarter plate glass negative, showing a view of the cross at Crowcombe, looking south-east towards the church from near The Carew Arms.

  • FK0011

    Church House at Crowcombe.

  • FK0012

    The end of Church House with the War Memorial in the foreground and Crowcombe Court to the right of the picture.

  • FK0013

    A view down the lane towards the school, which is behind the cottage on the left, and the church.

  • FK0014

    A view of Crowcombe with the road up to Crowcombe Gate going off to the right and the church behind it.

  • FK0015

    “Glebe House” which is on the corner of Crowcombe Road and Church Lane. Also Church of the Holy Ghost

  • FK0016

    “Glebe House” situated on the corner of Crowcombe Road and Church Lane. The roof of Holy Ghost Church and some gravestones are just visible on the left.

  • FK0017

    Looking north west over Crowcombe village. Infront of Holy Ghost Church is “Glebe House” and between these and the row of cottages Church Lane becomes Crowcombe Hill Road running up and over the Quantocks to the…

  • FK0018

    “Shute” and “Timewell” cottages beyond which is Crowcombe Church of England VA Primary School. Note power lines and aerials have now arrived.

  • FK0019

    The railings on the left belong to Cromcombe Primary School with “Timewell” and “Shute” cottages beyond. The tower of Holy Ghost Church is to the right.

  • FK0020

    “Shute” and “Timewell” cottages beyond which is Crowcombe Church of England VA Primary School. Note no power lines or aerials have arrived yet.

  • FK0021

    The southern road into Crowcombe leading off the A358 looking towards the centre of the village.

  • FK0024

    “Church House” was built circa 1515 and is one of Somerset’s two surviving church houses.

  • FK0025

    Crowcombe “Church of the Holy Ghost”. The tower dates from the 14th century with the rest of the building being dated at the 15th century.

  • FK0026

    Looking up the road from Crowcombe towards Crowcombe Park Gate with the lane towards Little Quantock Farm visible off to the right.

  • FK0027

    The Church of the Holy Ghost at Crowcombe.