Filter by categories
Explore

Cothelstone

  • JQ0001

    “Cothelstone House” stood at the end of a drive accessed off the road between Bishops Lydeard and Cothelstone Manor/Farm. The round lodge at the start of the drive still stands adjacent to the road at grid…

  • JQ0002

    Cothelstone Estate workers haymaking . It is thought the photo was taken in the 1920s. The following have been identified, from left to right, Sam Doble, C Blackmore, Bill Lane, Harry Farmer, W Hayes and a…

  • JQ0003

    A front view of “Cothelstone House” which was built between 1815 and 1820 as the home of the Esdaile family. It was demolished in the early 1960s. Its chief feature was the central recess between the…

  • JQ0004

    A rear view of “Cothelstone House” which was built by the Esdaile family between 1815-1820 and demolished by the late 1960s having fallen into disrepair. The block in the centre of the photo comprised on the…

  • JQ0005

    “The Dodhay” which stood on the hillside above Cothelstone Manor. It was built in the traditional style of houses in Cheshire from where the owner/builder’s wife originated. It was at one stage occupied by squatters. The…

  • JQ0006

    “Cothelstone House” stood at the end of a drive accessed off the road between Bishops Lydeard and Cothelstone Manor/Farm. The round lodge at the start of the drive still stands adjacent to the road at grid…

  • JQ0007

    Alice and Ern Ray in their garden at “Cothelstone Lodge”, which is located on the road between Bishops Lydeard and Cothelstone Manor/Farm. “Cothelstone Lodge” was the lodge for “Cothelstone House” which was built in 1815 and…

  • KN0001

    The Quantock Staghounds close to the cottage at Park End. The photo appeared on the front cover of The Field magazine in approximately 1967.

  • KP0001

    Looking downhill towards Cothelstone from the slopes of Cothelstone Hill. “Cothelstone Court” is in the photo centre. The village of Bishops Lydeard can be seen in the left background with the ridge of the Blackdown Hills…

  • KP0003

    Looking west down from the slopes of Cothelstone Hill. The building in the left foreground is “Cothelstone House” which was built in 1815 and demolished in the early 1960s. .

  • KP0004

    A Morris 8 Tourer with the registration ‘GO 34’ negotiating a beech-lined avenue on Cothelstone Hill one wintry day in the 1930s.

  • KP0008

    Looking west down from the slopes of Cothelstone Hill. The building in the left foreground is “Cothelstone House” which was built in 1815 and demolished in the early 1960s. .

  • KQ0001

    Cothelstone “Manor House” gateway viewed behind a snowdrift that covered the access road from Bishops Lydeard. The winter of 1962-63 was one of the coldest winters on record. Snow fell across the UK on Boxing Day…

  • KQ0002

    The gateway from the public road onto the drive of the “Manor House” at Cothelstone. The two stone lions either side of the gateway have since disappeared. It has been suggested that they may have been…

  • KQ0003

    The view across Cothelstone from the field above the buildings. Cothelstone Church tower is centre right. The building in the centre is the “Dodhay”, which is no longer there. It was apparently built in the traditional…

  • KQ0004

    A ploughing match in a field south of Cothelstone Farm which is the building on the left. The building in the centre is “The Old School House”. The photo was taken at the time that Mr…

  • KQ0005

    Cothelstone Church in about 1900. The ivy visible around the church tower is no longer there.

  • KQ0006

    The Gateway at “Cothelstone Manor”. Local resident Gillian Farmer with her dog. The avenue of trees leading from the Gateway up the drive was subsequently removed.

  • KQ0007

    Although this postcard is captioned ‘Bagborough’ it is thought to be located at Cothelstone. And to be the view looking north east uphill taken from the access track connecting the property called “The Lawns” to the…

  • KQ0008

    Cothelstone Church and Cothelstone Manor with Cothelstone Hill in the background.

  • KQ0009

    The Quantock Show taking place in the ‘big meadow’, Cothelstone. The ‘big meadow’ is the field below (south west of) the lane from Cothelstone to Cushuish. Cothelstone Hill is in the background.

  • KQ0010

    An early morning view of the Quantock Show located in the ‘big meadow’ below (south west of) the lane from Cothelstone to Cushuish. Bishops Lydeard church tower is visible in the centre in the middle distance.

  • KQ0011

    Looking up the drive towards “Cothelstone Manor” with Cothelstone Church tower behind. The electricity cables are now buried underground and the concrete ‘cannon balls’ are no longer there(2017).

  • KQ0012

    The church St Thomas of Canterbury, with a heavy covering of ivy. From the Friends of Quantock picture collection.

  • KQ0013

    “The Dodhay” which stood on the hillside above Cothelstone Manor. It was built in the traditional style of houses in Cheshire from where the owner/builder’s wife originated. It was at one stage occupied by squatters and…

  • KQ0014

    A drawing of Cothelstone House.

  • KQ0015

    The archway at Cothelstone Manor.

  • KQ0016

    Cothelstone parish church St Thomas of Canterbury taken from the side of the adjacent cottages.

  • KQ0017

    Looking up the beech tree lined lane that climbs up Cothelstone Hill from the hamlet of Cothelstone.

  • KQ0018

    The view across Cothelstone from the field above the buildings. Cothelstone Church tower is centre right. The building in the centre is the “Dodhay”, which is no longer there. It was apparently built in the traditional…

  • KQ0019

    Cothelstone Church taken from an adjacent field. (Original photographers’ description written in October 1955.)

  • KQ0020

    The old manor house in front of Cothelstone Church. Taken from beneath an arch. Photographers’ original description written in October 1955)

  • KQ0021

    Crowcombe Church.

  • KQ0022

    Looking south-west over Cothelstone Manor.

  • LN0004

    A view looking west up Merridge Hill between the Cothelstone Hill car park and Park End (visible in the distance). Taken in September before all the ash trees were felled due to Ash Dyeback Disease.